We all need to save a little money when we travel, right? This week we chat with Bethaney Davies from Flashpacker Family to get her best tips on using Priceline.com to save money on family travel.
ON THE PODCAST
ABOUT BETHANEY DAVIES
- To figure out what hotels are offered in the Express Deals as “mystery” hotels, find an express deal that looks good and look at the price, percent you are saving and the amenities of the hotel. Then do a normal search on Priceline and sort by the star rating, amenities and location offered by the Express Deal. Then look at the percentage off and try to figure out which hotel it is.
- Stick to properties that are rated 8+ by previous guests.
- With Name your own price, you typically get the same hotels that are on the Express Deals so work out which Express Deals are interesting first and figure out what hotels they are, and then offer $10-15 less than the Express Deal.
- If it is not accepted, you can add another location to bid again to keep trying to see what their acceptable price point is.
- When you rebid, raise your bid by $5.00, up until you get to the Express Deal price.
- Priceline works very well in big cities like New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, etc., but there are not too many Express Deals in smaller towns and cities.
- Primarily use Priceline for shorter stays vs. stays greater than three nights.
- Use the app for last minute deals.
- Sign up for the cash back rewards site where you get 5% cash back reward on Priceline bookings.