Whether it is for the holiday card or your walls, we all love getting great family photos to capture our travels and memories. Professional photographer Kristen Duke shares her tips on getting the best family vacation photos.
ON THE PODCAST
00:34 – Kim’s recent travel to New Mexico
03:58 – Petroglyphs vs. Pictographs
06:40 – Future plans and past trips to Jamaica
12:08 – About Kristen Duke
14:10 – Say No to Auto
14:50 – Camera gear to bring on your travels
17:35 – Recommended SLR cameras for family’s
19:00 – Point and shoot or not?
19:55 – Choosing a good spot to take a family photo
21:30 – Being mindful of your background
25:00 – Getting the kids to participate
30:30 – Final tips for your family travel photos
32:50 – Getting your photos out of your computer
35:40 – Kristen’s favorite travel gear
38:57 – Tip of the week
ABOUT KRISTEN DUKE
Kristen Duke is a portrait photographer and family lifestyle blogger based out of Austin, Texas. Raising 4 kids, she loves to share tips on how to bring your family closer together through travel adventures, favorite meals, home projects, and making sure people are taking family pictures wherever they go. Find her on the web at Capturing Joy, or you can find out more on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
TIPS FOR TAKING FAMILY PHOTOS
- Say NO to Auto is a book written to help people understand the basics of shooting in manual settings.
- Sometimes the lenses that come with your kit are not the best. Have a good lens is important for taking great pictures.
- The best camera positions for family photo would be eye level or birds eye view.
- If you are in the sun make sure that your camera is in the sun as well, that is the best way to avoid having your background being blown out.
- Change it up. It’s always great to have a variety of poses, not just everyone standing and smiling
- Incorporating your kid’s ideas is a great break up in your photos. It will also help with getting the family to participate.
- Getting your photos up on the wall or in an album is a great reminder of your fun times.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
‘Tieks’ flats are very colorful and slightly more on the dressy side but the are comfortable enough for walking all day on your vacations.
TIP OF THE WEEK
Flytographer is a website that will put you in contact with photographers where you are going to take professional photos.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.