Washington D.C. is a great spot for a family vacation — what other city has so many FREE family attractions and museums?! This week we chat with Tina Smith from Do DC with Kids to get the insider scoop on what to do off-the-beaten path in Washington DC with kids.
ON THE PODCAST
00:32 – Tamara’s recent trip to Austria
14:15 – About Tina Smith
18:00 – How long to stay in DC
20:30 – Monuments to see
24:50 – Ice Skating in the winter
25:10 – Summer Activities
26:45 – Activities outside of museums
30:00 – How to get around
32:30 – Recommended restaurants/cafes
37:25 – Money saving tips
38:35 – Best place for a family
39:43 – Tina’s favorite travel gear
40:30 – Final tips about DC
43:37 – Apps of the week
ABOUT TINA SMITH
Tina is a military brat and a new resident to Washington, D.C. Upon moving to “The District” a little over a year ago she transitioned from scientist to stay at home mom and started her blog, Do DC with Kids, as a way to share her finds with other parents – residents and tourists alike. You can find Tina at dodcwithkids.com and follow her adventures on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.
TIPS FOR VISITING WASHINGTON DC WITH KIDS
- Hotels in DC are expensive but most of the museums are free as well as some other activities!
- Rock Creek Park is an amazing park in the center of DC! You can rent a bike and ride the trail that you can find right behind the Lincoln Monument and ride it towards the National Zoo or Mount Vernon. In the summertime you can also go horseback riding in this park!
- If you are a foodie, looking on Instagram hashtags is a great way to find places. #edibleDC
- The Kennedy Center has free nightly performances everyday of the year that start at 6pm.
- Instagram hashtag #igDC or #myDCcool is what people that live there use, and is a great way to find interesting things to do!
- Tours of the White House have to be scheduled at least three weeks in advance
- You can save money with the Go City Card for Washington D.C.
BEST PLACE TO TAKE FAMILY PHOTO
Union Market has a heart mural that is great for a family photo other than in front of the White House.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
APPS OF THE WEEK
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035# You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.