A few years ago, it looked like the Internet had taken over when it came to booking travel and there was no longer a need for a travel agent. That isn’t true today, and it isn’t true when it comes to family travel. Today, there is more information on the Internet than you know what to do with and no one likes taking chances when it comes to traveling with kids. For that reason, the role of the trusted Travel Advisor is more important than ever. This week we discuss when to use a travel agent and the role that they can play with Patty Monahan from Our Whole Village.
ON THE PODCAST
00:32 – Talking with Tamara and Kim about their recent travels
08:05 – Talking with Patty
09:50 – How she started out
16:05 – The role of a travel agent
21:40 – When to look for a travel agent
27:45 – How to find an agent
31:40 – Places to go with kids under five
36:05 – Places to go with older kids
40:36 – Patty’s favorite travel gear
43:15 – Tip of the week
ABOUT PATTY MONAHAN
Patty is the founder of Our Whole Village, a travel company that connects families with local and authentic experiences. She plans and curates trips, tours and activities for parents who want to experience the world with their kids, discover different cultures and create lasting memories while making a difference. 50% of their profits go to projects and organizations that help women and children worldwide. Follow Patty on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
TIPS FOR USING TRAVEL AGENTS
- Travel agents are very specialised, and have their own niches. Some may be great planning your vacation in the states but not have the same resources for planning a vacation overseas.
- Finding the right travel agent is like having a professional clean your house. This may be something you can do yourself but having someone do it for you is a weight off your shoulders.
- Using an agent can get you some different amenities or deals when planning the trip for you.
- The best way to find a travel agent is by talking to the people you know and hearing about their experiences.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
Patty loves her scarves and makes sure to bring one everywhere. She also loves wearing her go walk Skechers.
TIP OF THE WEEK
What to look for you in a travel agent:
- Are they focused on particular location or type of travel.
- Understand if the agent charges a fee or not.
- If you have any problems with your travel, your agent can help you to handle and fix any issues.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035# You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!