Atlanta is home to such family-friendly attractions as the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, and Olympic Park, but there is so much more to see and do in Atlanta. Join us as we talk to Lesli Peterson from 365 Atlanta Family to get her best Atlanta travel tips.
ON THE PODCAST
00:31 – Talking with Kim about her recent road trip
09:23 – Talking with Lesli about Atlanta
13:57 – Must dos in Atlanta
16:49 – Walking tour surrounding MLK
17:59 – Off the beaten path
22:32 – Hotels in Atlanta
25:22 – Favorite places to eat
28:25 – Ways to save money
29:55 – Best place for a family photo
33:20 – Final Atlanta tips
34:55 – Favorite travel gear
37:25 – Tip of the week
ABOUT LESLI PETERSON
Lesli Peterson is Owner, Editor -in-Chief & CEO of 365 Atlanta Family. She made her way to Atlanta over 20 years ago, after living in Germany, Japan and six U.S. states. She relishes the discovery of obscure, offbeat and unwonted places, and she will chat up any willing stranger to uncover a new secret locale. After 18 years in software development, Lesli bailed on the corporate scene. She now serves as the Family Travel Ambassador for Georgia, and freelances for several publications in addition to writing at 365 Atlanta Family. When she’s not traveling, she’s hiking in the mountains or checking out Atlanta’s culinary scene, whiskey in hand.
Atlanta Travel Tips: Places to Visit in and Around Atlanta
- If like to visit museums, there is a great natural history museum called the Fernbank Museum. They have both indoor and outdoor areas and they also offer free parking.
- If you go downtown to city center you can also visit the Western Hemisphere’s largest aquarium, the Georgia Aquarium. Nearby you will find the Centennial Olympic Park, the Children’s Museum, and much more.
- If you like a great burger there is a place called Googie Burger that is located in Centennial Olympic Park. Be aware that this is an outdoor burger joint where you order at a walk up window. They also serve wine and beer.
- If you like to visit historic locations, there is a great walking tour to visit locations surrounding Martin Luther King Jr. You can see the the church he used to preach in, his house, and plenty more!
- If you have some extra time and like the outdoors, you can head to the mountains for some great hiking.
- There is a place called the Hike Inn. You can only get there by a five mile hike. You may also get the opportunity to talking with hikers that are on the Appalachian Trail.
- Another place to visit is Blairsville that has some great waterfalls if you would like to explore those.
- There is also a great Atlanta movie tour if you are fans of the Walking Dead.
BEST PLACE TO TAKE FAMILY PHOTO
The Atlanta Beltline is a great place for photos. You can get a great city backdrop as well as a outdoor art exhibit. The Jackson Street Bridge is also a great place to take a family photo, especially those that are Walking Dead fans because you can see a view of the city where the Walking Dead was filmed.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
Lesli oves her Adventura clothing, that are made from organic material and is very breathable.
TIP OF THE WEEK
For long road trips it may be a great idea to get a USB adaptor to charge all your devices.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035# You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.