This week Kim fills us in on her epic California road trip. She got off the beaten path in California and discovered some new destinations on this “Wild California” trip that will give your family ideas on how to go beyond amusement parks and beaches and see a new side to California. As we put this episode together, our hearts are heavy because of the loss of life and property as a result of the horrific fires in Northern California. We hope to get an update in the future and find ways to support that community while still enjoying all California has to offer.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Kim about her California Adventures
03:16 – Flying into Sacramento
07:27 – Traveling the North Coast
10:00 – Coastal towns
11:42 – Central Valley
15:45 – Volcano
17:28 – OARS rafting trip
18:05 – High Sierra region
22:27 – Downhill mountain biking and other adventures
25:58 – Desert region
31:14 – Central Coast adventures
34:10 – Channel Islands
36:39 – The Inland Empire
OFF-THE-BEATEN PATH IN CALIFORNIA
- Lassen National Park has beautiful hiking trails and plenty of thermal activity.
- The North Coast is the home of the Redwood trees. Prairie Creek Redwood State Park is a lesser known region where you can find some of the tallest trees. Though this park does not have trees you can drive through, it does house the widest tree! This tree is so round it could take you more than 15 seconds to run around it.
- The Rush Creek Lodge is a great place for families to stay by Yosemite. They have a pool a lot of family-friendly activities.
- The desert region is is the largest section of California, taking up almost a third of the state.
- The Channel Islands are right off the coast of Ventura. These islands are considered what natural California would look like without man’s interference. The largest island is about a 45-minute boat ride from Ventura. Another has the largest pinniped rookery in the world.
- The Inland Empire is located just inland of LA and is the home of the oranges.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#