The year is drawing to a close and as we look back at all our travel experiences of 2017, Kim and Tamara share their favorites on this week’s podcast.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Kim and Tamara about 2017
02:30 – Favorite cities
04:27 – Favorite city hotels
07:50 – Favorite beach hotels
11:30 – Favorite hotel outside of the city setting
15:00 – Favorite history tours
18:45 – Favorite food tours
22:13 – Favorite meal
25:43 – Favorite outdoor adventure
29:10 – Out of the ordinary experiences
34:28 – Other great experiences
39:00 – Theme park experiences
42:42 – Aquarium experience
44:09 – Water park experience
45:06 – Favorite mother-daughter getaways
47:17 – Favorite product discoveries for this year
55:55 – Giveaway!!!
BEST OF 2017
- Vienna, Austria – This was a no brainer for Tamara as her favorite city for 2017. It was so clean and elegant and had great architecture, museums and food.
- Anaheim, California – Kim chose this city in California. Until recently she has always thought of Anaheim as Disneyland. This year she explored the downtown area and experienced its very southern California feel.
Favorite city hotels:
- Avenue of the Arts – Kim stayed at this hotel in Costa Mesa, California. This hotel sits right across the Segerstrom Center that is the big performing arts center in Costa Mesa. The decor of the hotel room had a very modern feel and had a cute restaurant on site that had great lighting and seating for breakfast.
- Palais Hansen Kempinski – This hotel Tamara stayed at was in Vienna, Austria. Her family had a fabulous experience. Staying at this hotel was the full 5 star service, where they were greeted by name when entering and leaving. The employees were also so helpful with any information that was needed. The breakfast buffet was widespread and the nicest experience.
Favorite beach hotels:
- Disney Aulani – Was Kim’s favorite beach hotel mostly in part due to the the location of the hotel and the surrounding beaches.
- Eden Roc Cap Cana – Tamara’s favorite hotel was one that she stayed at with her husband in the Dominican Republic. This was a great quiet getaway that can only be described as heaven.
Favorite outside the city hotels:
- Basin Harbor Club Hotel – Is a hotel next to Lake Champlain in Vermont. This hotel is perfect for big family vacations, with different cabins along the lake.
- Mar Vista Cottages at Anchor Bay – This location is set off of the coast Highway 1 and is in Northern California. The Cottages are owned by a sweet couple that keeps them well kept and clean. They have live chickens so if you set out a basket by around 5pm, they would collect eggs for you to have in the morning as well as a garden with fresh herbs.
Favorite history tours:
- The Jewish history tour Tamara and her family took in Budapest was her favorite tour experience starting with their great tour guide that shared some personal stories and it was an emotional journey.
- Kim loved her experience at the Cannery Row in Monterey, California, where she learned about the bridges that go over the road that used to be used for sending fish into the warehouses for canning.
Favorite food tours:
- Walk Eat Nashville – Was Tamara’s favorite food tour this year out of the five that she has been on. The tour had a great variety.
- Theo Chocolate – Was Kim’s favorite food tour this year that is in Seattle, WA. This tour teaches you the history of Theo chocolate and the story behind it.
- Kim’s favorite meal was at The C Restaurant and Bar which is located on Cannery Row in Monterey, CA. The whole experience from the service to the food quality and the view were fantastic.
- Tamara’s favorite meal was at The Bazaar by Jose Andres which is located by South Beach Miami, Florida. This was one of the best food experience she has had and it was very inventive and tasted fabulous.
Favorite outdoor adventures:
- Tamara’s family loved the experience they had hiking in Copper Mountain in Colorado.
- Kim’s favorite trip was the Oars Adventure she took for a camping and water rafting experience.
Out of the ordinary experiences:
- Kim loved the experiences she had at the Disney Aulani KA WA’A luau. Though this was very Disney, it still had the history and tradition that was a fun little experience.
- Tamara loved the experience of the Peabody Memphis Hotel where her daughter Hannah got to be the Honorary Duck Master. This hotel has ducks that live on the roof that every morning are led down the elevator and to the fountain where they stay during the day, and then at night they are led back up to the roof.
Theme park experience:
- The Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida. This was the best ride that Tamara and her family have been on. It was worth the wait in line.
- Kim likes that Disneyland is starting a Max pass system instead of just Fast Pass.
Favorite mother-daughter trips:
- Tamara and Hannah loved their civil rights road trip they took this year.
- Kim and Lizzy loved their Southern California trip where Lizzy got to experience some surf lessons.
- Then Kim and Amelia loved their trip to Estes Park Colorado where they got to explore the Rocky Mountain National Park there.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035# You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!