Amsterdam is a popular tourist destination known for its fast-paced bicycles, “coffee” shops, tulips, houseboats, art, and history. But is it kid-friendly? American-expat Elizabeth from Dutch Dutch Goose shares her itinerary and tips for visiting Amsterdam with kids.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Tamara about DC
02:24 – Crowds in DC
14:55 – Talking with Elizabeth
18:11 – How long to spend in the Netherlands
21:30 – When to go
23:45 – Flowers
26:35 – Things for the kids to do when visiting the flowers
27:10 – Top things to do in Amsterdam
32:30 – Exploring the canals
34:50 – Outdoor activities
37:12 – Biking traffic
42:26 – Amsterdam zoo
43:55 – ‘Coffee shop’
47:08 – Night activities
47:50 – Day trips outside of Amsterdam
50:51 – Petting zoos
53:33 – Castle and fort
55:48 – Favorite hotels
58:19 – Money saving tips
1:00:45 – Take a family photo
1:02:10 – Favorite travel gear
1:04:40 – Elizabeth’s upcoming trips
ABOUT ELIZABETH NEWCAMP
Elizabeth is a type-A travel lover and freelance writer. Along with her three energetic little boys and loving husband, they are exploring Europe in search of amazing experiences. They have found quintessential European gems, some of the best playgrounds on the continent and have made some incredible memories along the way. Elizabeth is currently based in the Netherlands and shares her travels on Dutch Dutch Goose. Follow Elizabeth on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
TIPS FOR VISITING AMSTERDAM WITH KIDS
- Public transportation in the Netherlands is one of the best. It is clean, easy to use, fast and it gets you everywhere.
- The tourist crowds tend to die down some in the summertime, seeing as most people try to go during the flowers in the spring. It doesn’t tend to get super hot even though it is the summer.
- If you are going for the flowers make sure to be at the flowers early and then maybe explore the fields in the afternoon.
- Be aware that it rains quite a lot in the Netherlands, but don’t let that stop you from enjoying your trip. Everywhere is setup to have indoor areas as well because they know how the weather can be.
- Be sure to looking into getting tickets for museums and events online and in advance because of the lines or even just in case the place only sells online.
- It is a great idea to rent a bike in the parks in Amsterdam, but it is not recommended to bike around in the city. There is a lot of traffic and it can be really dangerous if you are not prepared!
- Be aware that if you are traveling with kids ‘Coffee Shop’ is actually a shop that sells pot. They are well marked but just be aware that they are scattered around. Some areas there may be more than others.
BEST PLACE TO TAKE FAMILY PHOTO
At the Rijksmuseum there is an iconic I love Amsterdam sign that would be a great spot to take a family photo. You can also get a great shot in the flower fields if you visit during the spring.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
Elizabeth loves to wear Nordstrom Zella leggings along with a comfortable top. She also loves to wear her Hunter rain boots. When she is not wearing rain boots she like to wear her Rothy flats which are actually made of recycled material and you can wash them.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035# You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!