Have you heard of voluntourism? It is the trend toward adding a service element to your travels as a way of giving back to communities. You can even take it a step farther by planning a service trip. This week we chat with Sasha Forbes on her recent experience with her daughter on a service trip in Bangladesh.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Kim and Tamara about their upcoming 100th episode
04:20 – Talking with Sasha
08:28 – What got Sasha interested in service trips
10:07 – Education program with Bangladesh
13:22 – Visiting Bangladesh
15:34 – Run through of their trip
23:07 – Brothel visit
24:25 – Explaining the seriousness to a child
25:44 – Maya’s reaction to the volunteer trip
27:50 – The impact of service trips
30:35 – Timing and budgeting for their trip
33:28 – Travel clinic costs
35:06 – Finding an organization to support
38:50 – Kim’s volunteering experience
40:18 – Me to We
41:06 – Other organizations
44:52 – Travel gear
47:47 – Shoutout!!!
ABOUT SASHA FORBES
Sasha is a wife, mom, and self-employed ASL interpreter who lives in the suburbs of Washington, DC. She adventures in every way possible – Couch Surfing, family Disney cruises, camping, adults only all-inclusive resorts, hostels, business, etc. Follow Sasha on Instagram.
TIPS FOR PLANNING A SERVICE TRIP
- You should not only do service, but to make it something you’re passionate about so that it becomes an ongoing habit.
- If you feel strongly enough about something you can find an organization to support, whether it is nearby or far away, that can make an impact.
- When you find an organization that you feel passionate about and would like to do more, be sure to do research on the organization before you decide to invest, either if it is a donation of you time helping or even money towards the cause. Use Charity Navigator to see how much of the money donated goes to the cause.
- Contact the organization directly and ask to speak with the founders or management team.
- Make sure your participation will not create an additional burden or financial obligation for the organization.
- Budget for a visit to the travel clinic, immunizations, and visas if your trip involves travel to a third-world country.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#