Spring break is just around the corner and summer vacation planning is in full swing. Have you created your travel budget yet? This week, Kim and Tamara teach you how to save money when you are booking your trip and tips for saving money on vacation too.
ON THE PODCAST
00:32 – Sponsor Wanderlist
02:32 – Planning with a budget in mind
04:56 – Activity prices add up
06:50 – Budget saving tips for flights
15:37 – Tip for saving money on accommodations
19:40 – Includes breakfast or not?
24:34 – Hotel packages
25:16 – Meals and snacks
30:16 – Saving money on attractions
32:26 – Local and work discounts
38:01 – Booking early vs. last minute
40:42 – Budgeting for kids
42:47 – Getting more money for vacation
TIPS FOR SAVING MONEY ON VACATION
- Create a trip budget before you leave so you know how much your vacation is going to cost.
- Before going on your trip, think about the day to day activities you would like to enjoy. Even if these activities are not expensive on their own, they tend to add up by the end of your trip. If you don’t plan for them ahead of time you could be putting out more money than you planned to for your trip.
- If you are on a strict budget for you vacation. Make sure to add in tip money to your calculations, whether its for maid service, concierge, taxi rides, est. Hotel tax and resort fees are another item you should keep in mind when budgeting your trip.
- Do your research on airline deals, some may not be worth the price cut.
- If you find a rate for a room on another booking site that the hotel does not offer on their site, try picking up the phone and calling, they may honor that rate if you book directly through the hotel.
- It never hurts to ask about deals!
- If you check with your hotel, they may accept packages. Then you can use Amazon and ship snacks and things right too your hotel. This is a great budget tip as well as a packing tip, since you won’t have to pack more for just your snacks. Some hotels may charge you for holding the package now so you want to make sure you check with them and find out exactly what they need on the label.
- If you are going to a city you may want to look into a CityPASS. They will include a lot of different sites and museums. Check to see what the pass offers to see if it will be worth it for you and your family.
- The more you plan the better off you will be! Booking last minute does not always offer cheaper deals.
- See what you can sell on eBay or Craigslist to help add to your vacation fund.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!