Kim and Tamara both managed to pull off a socially-distanced, outdoor-focused vacation this summer not too far from home. Tune in this week to hear all about Tamara’s summer vacation in the Adirondacks in New York and her cabin and hotel stays in Lake Placid and Saranac Lake.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Kim and Tamara
01:50 – Tamara’s trip to Adirondacks
04:23 – Where they stayed
14:55 – Hiking in the Adirondacks
26:55 – Coming Next Week
SUMMER VACATION IN THE ADIRONDACKS
- Be aware that if you would like to plan a trip to New York, the state has been very strict with what states are allowed in without quarantining. They also ask that you register with the state before traveling and follow the quarantine guidelines. If you do not register you could be subject to a fine.
- Due to the increased interest in house/cabin rentals, it may be very hard to find a cabin or lake house rental to visit the Adirondacks unless you plan ahead.
- Tamara stayed at Bear Cabin on Lake Colby near Saranac Lake, which is a two-bedroom cabin on a lake with access to canoes and kayaks. She found it on Airbnb (affiliate link.)
- An alternative to renting a cabin or house is to stay at a family-friendly resort, such as the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort in Lake Placid. Tamara and her family stayed in a two-room suite with a fireplace overlooking the lake. The rooms are a bit dated but the location is perfect because you are right in town but have access to the lake, including free use of kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards. The downside is the crowded beach without much social distancing.
- Some good hikes in the area for intermediate hikers include: Mt. Van Hoevenberg, Mt. Jo, and St. Regis Mountain.
- If you want epic views without the hike, you can take the gondola at Whiteface Mountain or pay to drive the Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway to the summit.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Tamara loves her new Black Diamond Hiking Poles, which fold up to fit into a backpack and offer great support on challenging hikes.
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!