This week, Eric Stoen from Travel Babbo chats with us about Orlando’s hottest new attractions, Universal Orlando Resort’s new Volcano Bay waterpark. We get into the details on what to expect when you go, our favorite rides and food, and where you should stay.
ON THE PODCAST
00:32 – Talking with Kim and Tamara about waterparks
13:17 – Eric Stoen from Travel Babbo
16:35 – Universal Orlando BlogSquad
18:27 – Eric’s experience at Volcano Bay
20:43 – Getting chairs at the waterpark
24:30 – What is the TapuTapu wristband
30:49 – Eric’s favorite rides/slides
32:54 – Foods at Volcano Bay
34:22 – Top tips
40:37 – Favorite hotels
43:42 – What can you bring into Volcano Bay
45:38 – Places for a family photo
46:55 – Eric’s favorite travel gear
50:16 – App of the week
ABOUT ERIC STOEN
Eric Stoen is a writer and photographer specializing in family travel, based in California. His goal is to encourage everyone to take their kids to unique destinations, and he provides first-hand information through travelbabbo.com to make it easier for people to plan those trips. He’s traveled with his three kids to forty-six countries and seven continents, with each of his kids getting to choose any destination in the world every year for a one-on-one trip. Follow Travel Babbo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT VOLCANO BAY
- Volcano Bay is very popular so you can expect crowds. It is important to get there early.
- Volcano Bay has a lot of different areas where there are chairs. You can also reserve chairs and cabanas but these book up very quickly so you will need to book ahead with plenty of time.
- The TapuTapu wristband can be used to check in to lines and will vibrate when you are next. If you link the wristband to the app and to a credit card you can also use it to make purchases.
- Staying at a Universal Orlando Resort hotel you will let you get into the waterpark one hour earlier than the regularly admitted customers. Cabana Bay has a private entrance to the park, but you must show your room key so this entrance is only for guests staying at an on site hotel.
- If it is possible you should bring your own towels into Volcano Bay. They have places for you to purchase or rent them but this will just add more cost to your trip.
- You are not allowed to bring in coolers, but you can bring in water bottles and food in plastic containers (no glass) if you have a food allergy.
- While the TapuTapu will help reduce the amount of time you spend in line, don’t expect no lines.
- Think about what rides to do first because there can be very long lines for popular rides and you can only check in to one ride at a time (plus the AquaCoaster.)
BEST PLACE TO TAKE FAMILY PHOTO
The best place for a family photo would be right at the start of the park with a backdrop of the Volcano. It is also a good idea to take your family photo when you get there. Once you take your picture you can put you camera in a locker and enjoy the rest of your day.
APP OF THE WEEK
Be sure to download the Universal Orlando app and take advantage of the great features this provides including syncing with the TapuTapu wristband and Volcano Bay.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035# You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission. Photos courtesy of Eric Stoen at Travel Babbo.