If you are getting ready to plan your next trip, be sure to check out these recommendations on the best travel apps and planning sites first!
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Kim about Disneyland
11:50 – Talking with Shellie
15:27 – Apps for airfare
20:28 – Deals on hotels
22:59 – Sites like Airbnb
31:48 – Deals on car rentals
34:55 – Apps for saving on tours
39:55 – Putting together a trip itinerary
41:59 – Apps for road trips
46:32 – Favorite travel gear
48:24 – Upcoming trips for Shellie
ABOUT SHELLIE BAILEY-SHAH
Shellie Bailey-Shah is the founder and editor of KidTripster, an online family travel magazine that provides information and inspiration to families traveling anywhere in the world. Shellie and her family do a fair amount of traveling themselves. They’ve been to countries on six continents with plans to go to Antarctica this coming December! They’re also national park enthusiasts with the goal of visiting every single one. Their current count: 44.
BEST TRAVEL APPS & SITES
- A recent study found that buying your flight tickets online on a Sunday is when you tend to find the cheapest fares. It is also great to use other sites or apps to research prices but if the price is the same on the airline site you may be better off just getting you ticket there in case there are any issues it may help if you are able to contact the airline directly instead on through a third party seller.
- Booking on Cyber Monday can also get you great deals that are only for that day!
- DOSH is a great app to book hotels because you recieve money back to your account and you can then either use that money through the app or you can transfer it to your bank account. This app will also let you know of restaurants nearby that are affiliated with DOSH.
- Hostels have come a long way. The site Hostel World is great because they give ratings and have a detailed listing of what each place offers. It may seem like it is only for one or two people to just grab a bed for the night. But now this may be a great option for you family.
- Autoslash is a great site to book a car rental. One great reason to use this site is because the site will alert you if there was a price drop and then you can rebook the car and save some money. The money you save may just pay for a dinner out!
- You can save your phone battery from draining so quickly if you download offline maps of the area before you are out there that way you can use wifi to download and you won’t have to use up your battery by using the location and map apps on your phone.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
Shellie likes to wear her Kuhl cargo pants that way she has plenty of pockets to keep things. There must be at least one zipper pocket though that way she can keep her license or passport and her phone safely tucked away.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
Saving on Airfare
Google Flights (only to use mapping feature)
Saving on Hotels
Alternatives to Traditional Hotels
Saving on Rental Cars
Saving on Family-friendly City Tours
Free Tours by Foot (you pay want you think it was worth)
Sandleman’s New Europe (you pay want you think it was worth)
Big Apple Greeter (really free, NYC)
iExit app (for road trips)
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#