Have you ever thought of planning a girl’s trip to Maine? In August, Kim and Tamara headed up to the Northwoods of Maine for a girls’ trip filled with hiking and laughs, with a stops in Portland and Freeport along the way. Find out more about their trip and some things you can do with the family too!
ON THE PODCAST
02:20 – Where to go in Maine
05:37 – Moosehead Lake Area
10:13 – Moose safari adventure
16:45 – Hiking
23:50 – Appalachian Mountain Club
32:50 – River Rim trail
38:15 – Going home
38:40 – Coming up
TIPS FOR PLANNING A GIRL’S TRIP TO MAINE
Note: Our trip was hosted by Visit Maine. All opinions are our own.
- Where to stay in Moosehead Lake: rent a cabin from Moosehead Hills Cabins for privacy and lakefront views, just double check the location as not all cabins are on Moosehead Lake.
- What to do in Moosehead Lake: Though you have to get up super early, going on a Moose Safari is a really fun experience. You will drive to different places where moose are often spotted, and with Northwoods Outfitters, you then head out in a canoe to see if you will see any by the water.
- Appalachian Mountain Club’s Gorman Chairback Lodge: if you are looking for a more remote and rustic destination in Maine’s 100 acre wilderness, try a stay at one of the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Lodges. We met many families staying in two bedroom cabins (with a bathroom) while we were there. The meals are included and served family-style and there is plenty of hiking, kayaking, and canoeing in the area.
- The Appalachian Mountain Lodges are approximately 40 minutes to town in a very unplugged area. This is the place for you to connect with your family without cell phones or video games getting in the way.
- The Gulf Hagas hike was a great hike in the 100 acre wilderness that takes you along the rim of a river, but make sure to bring water shoes if you have them because there is an area that you have to cross the river. There are also places by waterfalls were you can swim if you don’t mind the cold water.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
Black Diamond Trekking Poles (affiliate link)
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!