Dreaming about a trip to the Canadian Rockies? Listen in as Tamara shares the highlights from her mother-daughter trip to Kananaskis, Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Plus Kim chimes in on what she did in Banff before boarding the Rocky Mountaineer train earlier this year.
ON THE PODCAST
01:53 – Talking about Tamara’s Mother Daughter Trip
05:45 – Kananaskis
09:52 – Via Ferrata in Banff
12:50 – Driving the Icefields Parkway
13:43 – Peak Nic with Jasper Food Tours
15:45 – Horseback riding in Banff
17:00 – Post Inn in Lake Louise
23:20 – Two Jack Lake in Banff
27:30 – Exploring the Athabasca Glacier
TIPS FOR VISITING THE CANADIAN ROCKIES
- Banff is very crowded in the summer so you may want to stay in nearby Canmore.
- If you want to get away from crowds, you can also visit the other nearly Provincial Parks or National Parks like Yoho or Waterton.
- Kananaskis is about an hour away from Banff, and not nearly as crowded. There are amazing views, great hikes and lakes, and plenty of wildlife.
- Bears are all over in the Canadian Rockies and bear spray is highly recommended. In Kananaskis you see warnings about bear encounters everywhere.
- The Via Ferrata at Mt Norquay in Banff is a thrilling adventure for adults and teens. Via Ferrata is an assisted climbing experience that uses climbing ladders and cross suspension bridges to help you climb a mountain without having to actually mountain climb. You do need to be in good shape as it is a workout and it isn’t good if you are scared of heights.
- Jasper Food Tours offers a unique backcountry cooking lesson and picnic called “Peak Nic.” You hike up to the peak of a mountain, carrying everything you need, then you learn how to make your food and enjoy a spectacular mountain view while you relax and eat what you have cooked.
- Two Jake Lake, which is just outside of Banff, is a great spot for scenic photos and a walk along the lake (look for the famous red chairs!)
- You should never walk on glaciers without a guide. You also want to always follow all signs that are posted. These signs will tell you where to stay away from and what not to do.
- Follow Tamara’s full Canadian Rockies vacation itinerary here.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!