The Vacation Mavens love a fun girls’ trip and what could be better than pairing up some wine tasting and adventure? This time, we head to Santa Rosa in the heart of Sonoma’s wine country to learn all the things to do with friends, or with family. From zip lining to hiking to glamping within view of giraffes, listen to all we experienced during our four days in Santa Rosa, California.
We are happy to report that Sonoma and Santa Rosa are back open for tourists after the recent devastating fires. A couple of wineries suffered damage to their tasting rooms, but the places we mention in the podcast all got through ok.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Sponsor – Allianz Travel
01:16 – Talking with Kim and Tamara about California
05:20 – Santa Rosa Itinerary
07:54 – Safari West
14:57 – Charles Shultz Museum
23:05 – Wine tasting
28:40 – Shout Out!!
19:05 – Redwoods
32:30 – Downtown Santa Rosa
37:45 – Grand Tasting
43:40 – Coming up
ABOUT ALLIANZ TRAVEL
We all travel for different reasons. Some to get closer as a family and some to get away from it all. Some to discover new sounds, new tastes, and others to discover themselves. No matter your reason, Allianz Travel Insurance is the ultimate wingman—having your back while helping you make the most of every moment. True experts providing protection for all the reasons you travel.
Visit allianztravelinsurance.com, and see what award-winning travel insurance can do for your next trip.
Terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. Plan(s) underwritten by Jefferson Insurance Company or BCS Insurance Company. AGA Service Company is the licensed producer and administrator of these plans.
TIPS FOR VISITING SANTA ROSA CALIFORNIA
- Santa Rosa has luxury hotels and inns for couples and girls trips, but they also have options for budget stays and families.
- Safari West may be surprising to find African mammals in Northern California, but it is a fun option for tours or overnight stays.
- At Safari West you can glamp overnight in an African bush tent, or just visit for the day and book a guided-safari tour. On the three-hour tour you will learn a lot about the animals and how they run the preserve. Safari West is AZA accredited and works on animal conservation.
- The Charles Shultz Museum is great for kids and Peanuts’ fans. There are other museums and activities in the area as well so that you can make a full day in downtown Santa Rosa if you would like.
- If you are a dog owner you should make the Mutt Lynch Winery a must-visit winery. The tasting room is located in Windsor, CA and is filled with gift shop items that you will want to buy for your furry friend! It had a really down-home feel and they offer a wine club that for every wine order you make, you will also receive a dog toy with your shipment! You are more than welcome to bring your dog and they will also do a treat tasting for the dogs while you are tasting their wine. To top it all off the wine was really good!
- The Armstrong Redwood Reserve is a great little gem and is a great alternative if you can’t make it up to the Redwoods in San Francisco. There are a few easy loop hikes to take among the Redwoods.
- If you are in the area for the grand tasting at the Sonoma County Harvest Fair, you should definitely check it out. They hold it every year in October and they have probably over a hundred different wineries there, along with craft beer and ciders.
- See more things to do in Sonoma with kids and Santa Rosa kid-friendly wineries.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!