At the end of every year we like to look back at some of our favorite travel experiences, destinations, hotels, and products and share those with our listeners. So settle in and listen up as we share our favorites for 2019!
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Sponsor
01:09 – Talking with Kim and Tamara
04:13 – Favorite hotels
18:50 – Favorite Experiences
32:58 – Surprise Destinations
38:36 – Favorite Travel Gear
51:28 – Favorite trip of the year
Favorite Things of 2019
- Favorite hotels
- Tamara enjoyed her stay at L’ma Lodge in Morocco. The property was spacious and had a bunch of little hangout places under palm trees. Plus there was a really great view from the roof and the stay was not too expensive.
- She also had fun at the Margaritaville Resort in Orlando, Florida, which has a beach feel and a really great pool. In the surrounding area there is a waterpark along with shops and other activities.
- Her stay at Les Carrasses in France, was very elegant and affordable.
- The Mount Juliet Estate she stayed at in Ireland has a lot of character which made for a great stay.
- Tamara’s last favorite hotel was the Riad Fes in Morocco. This Riad had a really unique atmosphere with its large doors and tile work that made you feel like you were in a palace.
- Kim loved her stay at the Moon Palace in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. This was an all-inclusive resort that made for a very relaxing stay where she didn’t have to worry about the price tag of food and activities.
- She loves the Paradise Pier Hotel at Disneyland, where you can get a theme park view room. It is farthest from the entrances so that may be a downside for some.
- She also likes the Disneyland Hotel,which has light-up headboards and though you still have to walk to the entrances, you walk through downtown Disney which makes it a more fun walk.
- The Grand Californian Hotel in Disneyland is definitely the closest to the park and will be more luxurious than the others.
- The Presidio Lodge in San Francisco is close to the Golden Gate Bridge. The Lodge is on an old army barracks type property that has two hotels, a restaurant and the Walt Disney Family Museum. If you are a big Disney fan you might want to check it out. The Lodge is very beautifully done and spacious. They also serve a cocktail hour with wine for adults and lemonade for kids.
- Favorite experiences/excursions
- One of Tamara’s favorite experiences was when she was able to camp in the desert in Morocco with her family. They rode camels in and were able to try sand boarding the next day.
- Her experience with Souk Cuisine and their cooking class in Marrakech. They took you to the market and helped you pick out what you need for the meal you were going to make than you were welcomed in to someone’s home, where they helped you cook the meal.
- The Via Ferrata in Banff was such a great experience to have with her daughter.
- Jasper Food Tours gave a very unique with their Peak-Nik. You would hike up a mountain with all of your supplies and then learn how to cook a bunch of different items and enjoy the view while you eat.
- Tamara’s wine tasting experience on Canal du Midi barge.
- Lastly was the great experience of seeing the Northern Lights and feeding an arctic fox in Iceland!
- Kim loved her experience skiing in Keystone. Since she first learned how to ski there it was great to be able to bring her kids there.
- The food tour in Key West was a great experience to have with a friend.
- Gulf Hagas hike in Maine may have been a hard hike, you had a great feeling of accomplishment when you reach the end.
- California Road Trip was a really neat experience, being able to spend a day or two a bunch of different places.
- The Rocky Mountaineer train ride was a bucket list experience with its scenery and relaxation.
- Northern Ireland Causeway Coast (Carrick a Rede Bridge) was a really wonderful experience and makes you want to stay explore in every direction.
- Being able to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge was a really fun experience.
- Royal BC Museum in Victoria was a really impressive experience.
- Being able to see the Hubbard Glacier from a cruise ship had some really great views to see nature at work.
- Destination that surprised you
- Tamara felt that Belfast had a really great food and views. This surprised her because of everything she kept hearing about the location from others in the past, built up this image that was a lot different than the amazing experience that she had.
- Kim’s first experience with Jamaica ended up being really overwhelming with all of the people at each cruise port bombarding you with things to buy. Her recent trip there at an all inclusive resort made for a much better experience and left you to relax and enjoy your time rather than worry about little things.
- Favorite new gear
- Tamara has found some new gear this past year like Taos shoes that have some great style options but have really great arch support. Delsey Paris Chatelet Air tote bag is a great addition to her luggage with a nicer look to it than caring around a backpack. Plus it also has a strap that you can put over you rolling so that you don’t have to carry it on your shoulder all of the time. She also found this new brand of jeans called Fatface, which is a UK brand and they are very comfortable and stretchy.
- Kim found Forsake Boots for her trip to Ireland that are really great hiking boots. She has also found that she loves wearing wireless headphones especially when she is on a plane. Compression socks that are a little looser than medical ones are less claustrophobic for Kim when she is wearing them. Columbia has an Anytime Bootcut pants that are extremely comfortable and look a little more professional.
- Favorite trip of the year
- Tamara loved her time in the Canadian Rockies that she took with her daughter. There was a lot of great views and places to see.
- Kim loved her time in Ireland she was just blown away at the beauty and the ease of getting around.
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!