It is time to head to Miami and explore the street art of Wynwood Walls, the beaches of South Beach, the food of Little Havana, and the wilds of the Everglades. This week we are chatting with Guiomar Ochoa to get her insights on what to do in Miami with kids.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Kim and Tamara about the holidays
08:06 – Talking with Guiomar
09:40 – How long to spend in Miami
10:20 – What to do in Miami with kids
21:00 – When to go
22:17 – Favorite restaurants
26:50 – Day trips
29:18 – Final tips
31:20 – Guiomar’s favorite travel gear
ABOUT GUIOMAR OCHOA
Guiomar Ochoa is an arts aficionado, foodie and passionate traveler, who has called both Rome and Paris home. She now settled back in her hometown of Washington, D.C. with her husband and two young children, Anna-Cecilia and Luca. Guiomar is adamant about passing down her love of languages and cultures to her kids.
TIPS FOR VISITING MIAMI, FLORIDA
- Four or five days in Miami is a good amount of time to spend. Make sure you take advantage of the beaches and relaxing.
- The Everglades is a must see location when visiting Miami. Also located not to far from there is the Miccosukee Indian Village. They have great arts and culture and a world famous alligator demonstration.
- When you visit Miami you may want to think about renting a car. Miami is large and a lot of what you will want to visit, including the Everglades, is going to be about a half hour away from the city.
- The street art and murals of the Wynwood Walls is a great place to take photos and explore. They are vibrantly colored murals that are done by different artists in the area. The neighborhood is very walkable and has some great restaurants to stop for food.
- The Venetian Pool in Coral Gables is a great public pool that only cost about 5 dollars to get in.
- Going to Miami in the summer is actually the low season so you will find the cheapest rates.
- If you end up exploring Doral, you should have a meal at the Biscayne Bay Brewing Company. You may not think a brewery is that best place to take your kids for a meal but every Saturday this place offers free meals to kids under 12.
- Depending on how much time you have in Miami, Florida. Taking a day or two and traveling to the Keys is a fun experience. It is such a pretty drive to get to the keys. Plus the vibe of the area is different than the city.
- Keep in mind that visiting Miami can get pretty expensive. A lot of the beaches are public and free. Packing your lunches can save you some money. If you are driving there make sure that you are bringing beach chairs if you want them so that you can really spend some time on the beach.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
Guiomar loves to wear a comfortable pair of Vans shoes, with their style pared with a comfy pair of black pants. She also loves to wear some Grace Gonzalez jewelry to dress it up!
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!