Have you ever considered taking a group tour vacation with your family? Not just a city-tour or full-day tour, but a multi-day vacation with other families that has been organized and facilitated by a tour operator? Today we are chatting with Karilyn Owen from No Back Home about her experiences both on her own and with her son taking group tours. We chat about the pros and cons, as well as what to look for in a group tour experience.
ON THE PODCAST
00:32 – Talking about Tamara’s trip to Bermuda
01:20 – Where is Bermuda
02:59 – Tamara’s time in Bermuda
04:45 – Where she stayed
06:43 – Food and culture
12:19 – Talking with Karilyn Owen
12:55 – Upcoming trip for Karilyn
16:10 – What is a group tour
17:05 – Karilyn’s recent group tour experiences
19:05 – Overview of tours
22:06 – Pros and cons of group tours
28:57 – What to look for in booking a group tours
34:30 – Who would use group tours
36:52 – Eating with your group tour
38:50 – Other tour companies
46:55 – Trip planning tips
48:57 – Karilyn’s final tips
49:55 – Karilyn’s favorite travel gear
55:06 – Special Thanks!!!
ABOUT KARILYN OWEN
Karilyn Owen, the founder of the popular family travel blog No Back Home, is a writer, photographer and social influencer sharing her family’s adventures at home in Southern California and around the world to inspire other families to get out and explore, even if it’s just in their own city.
Karilyn and her nature obsessed 7 year old’s travels focus on outdoor adventures, exploring different cultures and seeking out the world’s beauty wherever they find themselves. Since 2000, Karilyn has traveled to 42 countries on her own and to 22 with her son. Karilyn was honored to be named Visit California’s Digital Influencer of the Year (for 2017).
BENEFITS OF GROUP TOUR VACATIONS
- Group tours can be a great experience to bond with other families and make instant friends. If you have multiple kids, being around other kids seems to stop them from bickering and fighting on the trip.
- Going on a group tour of a location you can go off the beaten path a bit more without feeling nervous or unsure. With a group tour you have a great support system for questions or to help you in the case of an emergency.
- When using Intrepid for booking your group tour, they will tell you what age kids are already booked onto the trip for the time you are going. If you are flexible with your trip times this may make the difference to your child that you can chose a time that has other kids their age.
- Doing research on tour companies will make your experience since every company has a different approach/style with you experience, whether it has a more luxury feel or others that more off the beaten path focused on immersing you in the culture.
- Tour operators know the locals and can introduce you to experiences you wouldn’t find on your own.
- The downside of group tours is that you have less flexibility in your schedule and you may run across personalities that are tough to deal with.
FAVORITE TRAVEL GEAR
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#