Have you been to Iceland and want to go back to see something new? Or maybe you would love to see Iceland’s natural beauty without the crowds you find in the Golden Circle or the South Coast? Tamara shares how to get off-the-beaten path with Hidden Iceland. Tune in to hear about her girls’ trip to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and the West Fjords.
ON THE PODCAST
00:30 – Talking with Tamara about Iceland
02:15 – Getting around Iceland
04:00 – Tamara’s Itinerary
10:20 – Warning signs
12:55 – Driving tour
36:48 – Group trip next year
37:30 – Coming up for Kim and Tamara
TIPS FOR VISITING ICELAND
- Getting from the airport to the capital city of Reykjavik will cost you about 150 to 175 dollars taking a taxi.
- A cheaper option is to take the FlyBus, which will cost you around 30 dollars to get to Reykjavik. Of course you can also rent a car if you will be driving around the country.
- If you see a warning sign in Iceland you really need to take heed. They don’t put up signs without reason. The warning signs can mean that someone has died there.
- You should really think about booking hotels in advance if you plan on visiting Iceland. They book up quickly since they don’t have as many hotels outside of Reykjavik.
- If you want to spend more than 3 days in Iceland, you should plan on renting a car and moving from place to place to minimize driving and see more.
- If you are visiting in the winter, you are better off taking group or private tours with a driver versus driving on your own.
- Hidden Iceland offers group and private tours to the Golden Circle, South Coast, Snaefellsnes, and the Westfjords. All of their guides are experts in their fields including volcanologists, glacier guides, and folklore specialists.
- Although getting from place to place takes a while, you will have a more of an experience visiting Iceland if you travel around to different areas rather than just staying in Reykjavik for your whole stay.
- The Westfjords can only be accessed in the summer, from May or June through August or September.
MENTIONED ON THE PODCAST
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play and leave us a review! Have a question or comment? Send us an email or leave us a voicemail at +1.641.715.3900, ext. 926035#. You can also follow our travels on Stuffed Suitcase and We3Travel, or follow the Vacation Mavens on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Thanks for listening!